Sunday, February 20, 2011

Ernest Goes to Splash Mountain - TV Special

If you're like me, you've got a special place in your heart for Ernest P. Worrell, the goodhearted goofball played by genius comic actor Jim Varney in films like "Ernest Goes to Camp" and "Ernest Scared Stupid."


Ernest was a character developed by a marketing firm in Tennessee called Carden & Cherry Advertising, and he was used to make hundreds of down-to-Earth commercials for specific markets across the country where he sold everything from local sodas to milk to auto dealerships.




In 1987, John Cherry, one of the men who helped create the Ernest character, directed "Ernest Goes to Camp" for Disney's Touchstone Pictures, and, holy shit, I could go on and on about that movie. It's one of my favorites and it brought Ernest to the attention of households everywhere.

Anywho, this put the Ernest character in business with Disney, where he appeared in a lot of Disney promotional video stuff, and in 1989, when "Ernest Goes to Camp" aired on TV for "The Wonderful World of Disney," it was preceded by a special about the opening of the Splash Mountain ride at Disneyland called...



I can't handle how excited I would've been to have a pizza night back in 1989 and watch both "Ernest Goes To Camp" AND a brand-new TV special!

In the TV special, Ernest has been tapped as the first HUMAN to test the ride, so a news station follows him around to see how he trains for the duty. We also get some history about the development of Splash Mountain (I had no idea the ride was based on the controversial "Song of the South" film) and other stuffs. It was never released on DVD or VHS as far as I can tell, which is a bummer, cause it'd be a dope special extra if they ever put out a boss anniversary edition of "Ernest Goes to Camp." That means you'll have to settle for these 3 clips I found of the special online, which cover the entire program.

Lost Ernest footage! Ugh, I'm so happy the internet exists.

Enjoy!

Part One:

(My favorite bit comes at 5:45)




Part Two:




Part Three:

(The nightmare sequence at :52 MUST be burned into some fans' memories)




Look for more Ernest content down the line. It's a shame Varney passed away when he did. He had a lot of great roles and ideas ahead of him, and it's too bad to think he missed out on all the cool stuff he had heading his way. Of all my childhood icons, he's one of the few who never got tangled up in crazy controversies or compromised himself - he just tried to entertain and stayed humble.

2 comments:

  1. I cannot WAIT to show you my Ernest VHS collection. So many obscure tapes!!! And not the movies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DIDN'T SEE YOUR ERNEST COLLECTION AND THAT MAKES ME WANT TO PUNCH LYLE ALZADO IN THE FACE.

    ReplyDelete